Vermaelen becomes a Gunner.


Thomas Vermaelen has passed his medical and signed on the dotted line to become Arsene Wenger's first summer signing.

Wenger’s recent pursuit of the Belgium defender - who can play either centrally or on the left - has been no secret but it was not until Friday that the player put pen to paper on a ‘long-term contract’ with The Gunners.

Vermaelen moves from Ajax in order to bolster a defence that came under fire from all quarters last season and is sure to challenge the likes of Kolo Toure and William Gallas for a first-team berth.

No fee has been disclosed by Arsenal but Ajax's official website revealed that Wenger has parted with €10 million up front, with another €2 million in potential add-ons for the 23-year-old.

“Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal Football Club, and we are all delighted that he is joining us,” the Frenchman told the club’s official website.

“Thomas is a solid performer with good experience of Champions League and UEFA Cup football and is also a regular with the Belgium national team.

“Thomas is primarily a left-footed centre back, but he’s multi-functional and can also play at left back. He is strong technically with a positive winner’s attitude and I have no doubt his arrival will strengthen our team. Thomas Vermaelen will be a huge asset to Arsenal.”

Vermaelen, who was Ajax captain during his final campaign in Holland, appears convinced that his new employers have what it takes to end their four-year wait for a trophy.

“Firstly, I have to say that I’m sad to be leaving Ajax and I would just like to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me over the past eight years,” he said.

“I’m just so happy to be joining Arsenal. This is a great club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium. Everything is set up for Arsenal to be very successful for years to come and I joined this club because I know Arsenal will be challenging for trophies.

“I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal. I’m also looking forward to playing in The English Premier League, which for me, is the best league in the world.

"Also, I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season.”

No comments:

 
g.ban's world | Designed by Techtrends | © 2007-2008 All rights reserved